Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
Expected Areas of Competence
The Business Development/Research Enabling Transactions candidate will possess significant experience in the life sciences and biopharmaceutical industry. An understanding of the deal making process in the industry is beneficial. The candidate will provide transaction support/leadership for business assessment with BMS scientific leads and be responsible for negotiation and contracting of licensing and collaboration opportunities for research enabling technologies/platforms in support of BMS strategy and objectives.
The candidate is required to have strong personal skills and work with multiple internal stakeholders to facilitate transactions required to advance BMS research and development pipeline.
- Demonstrate leadership and business acumen while collaborating closely with internal R&D stakeholders, transaction team members and potential external collaborators.
- The candidate will be responsible for providing insights to the scientific requirements for the transaction process and will work in close collaboration with internal BMS stakeholders.
- Recommend/develop proposed deal structure and terms.
- Lead research and development based transactions for enabling technologies and platforms.
- Assist in/lead negotiating collaborations, licenses and strategic alliances.
- Responsible for coordinating team meetings, preparing agendas, and summary minutes for internal teams.
- Review and guide drafting of agreements in conjunction with the Law Department, ensuring appropriate BMS contractual protections.
- Obtain appropriate scientific and business function input and review required to secure internal approvals to execute transactions.
- Coordinate with R&D stakeholders and BD operations team to ensure project information is up to date for BD governance meetings and inclusion in BMS database.
- Provide support to senior members of Business Development on larger transactions as needed.
- Participate in BD external partnering events/industry meetings (JPM, BIO, BIO EU, BMS Partnering Days, etc.).
- Track and develop knowledge of competitive trends in deal making within the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry.
- Scientific background with ability to assess technology platforms and collaboration opportunities with relevant internal BMS stakeholder; strong interpersonal skills and understanding of pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process. Ability to integrate scientific knowledge into business model.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects efficiently with a high degree of independence.
- Prior experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry (preferably scientific and business functions)
- MS/PhD with business background preferred.
Knowledge &Skills Desired
- Competent in Pharmaceutical discovery and development evaluation process and familiarity with diverse research/discovery technologies.
- Working knowledge of Pharmaceutical industry issues, trends, and their business impact. Knowledge of the licensing/business development process and landscape. Good understanding of the drug development process.
- Strong analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Capable of communicating effectively with senior management.
- Ability to develop deal structures and working knowledge of industry deal trends.
- Ability to conduct and conclude negotiations on minor deals with supervision.
- Competence in taking leadership role on elements of major deals and provide support to an Executive Director on all aspects of major deals.
- Ability to review and edit contracts and give direction to Legal in writing contracts.
- Existing (or clear potential to develop) strong negotiating skills.
- Consistently delivers on commitments in a timely manner.
- Work well with and exert influence on multi-disciplinary teams. Facilitates candid dialogue and cross-functional collaboration.
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.