Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
The Business Development, Transactions opportunity is a full-time, permanent role at the Director or Sr. Director level
Expected Areas of Competence
The Business Development/Transactions candidate will possess strong business acumen with experience in the life sciences and biopharmaceutical industry. An understanding of the deal making process in the industry is required as the candidate will assist/lead transaction related activities for both licensing and M&A, while supporting Search & Evaluation (S&E) activities. The candidate is required to have strong personal skills and work with multiple internal stakeholders to facilitate highly visible and time-sensitive business development projects. Furthermore, the candidate will provide transaction support / leadership in running business and commercial analyses, negotiation and contracting of licensing and other collaboration opportunities for preclinical, clinical, and marketed compounds in support of BMS strategy and objectives.
- Demonstrate leadership and business acumen while collaborating closely with internal S&E, R&D, Finance, and Commercial stakeholders and potential external partners.
- The candidate would be responsible for partnering with the S&E function within BD to establish excellent working relationships with cross-functional team members, in addition to jointly working with potential external collaborators.
- Support formulation of therapeutic area strategy for their focus area while driving the execution of external business development elements.
- Efficiently lead cross-functional team meetings and communicate updates to leadership.
- Lead the delivery of business assessments and recommendations of external opportunities to BMS governance bodies for endorsement.
- Responsible for coordinating team meetings, preparing agendas, and minutes for various BD related teams as needed.
- Participate in BD external partnering events/industry meetings (JPM, BIO, BIO EU, BMS Partnering Days etc.).
- Coordinate with therapeutic area leads and BD operations team to ensure project information is updated for BD governance meetings.
- Lead Commercial/Financial Assessment:
- Assembles initial team members, coordinates resources and schedules meetings
- Lead project team interactions with functional representatives
- Provide insights to the commercial and financial evaluation process, assumptions and outputs
- Lead development and drafting of project team deliverables
- Ensure robustness of the overall Commercial/Financial Assessment
- Recommend/develop proposed deal structure and terms.
- Assist in/lead negotiating CDAs, MTAs, collaborations, licenses and strategic alliances.
- Present to senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to analyze and understand sales forecasts, P&Ls, risk analyses, and company valuations; strong understanding of discounted cash flow, net present value, internal rates of return and risk analysis techniques. Able to integrate scientific knowledge into business model.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects efficiently with a high degree of independence.
- Prior Pharma and Biotech experience (preferably in commercial and business functions).
- MBA or other business degree preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Desired
- Competent in Pharma product evaluations across a range of therapeutic areas.
- Working knowledge of pharmaceutical industry issues, trends, and their business impact. Knowledge of the licensing/business development process and landscape. Good understanding of the drug development process.
- Strong analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to communicate effectively with senior management.
- Competence in reviewing and editing contracts and providing direction to Legal in term sheets and contracts.
- Ability to influence analysis undertaken by other functions.
- Existing (or clear potential to develop) strong negotiating skills.
- Consistently delivers on commitments in a timely manner.
- Works well with and exerts influence on multi-disciplinary teams. Facilitates candid dialogue and cross-functional collaboration.
*Deal sheet will be required for further consideration
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.