Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, we’re creating innovative medicines for patients who are fighting serious diseases. We’re also nurturing our own team with inspiring work and challenging career options. No matter our role, each of us makes a contribution. And that makes all the difference.
The Scientist will report to an Upstream Group Leader, and will collaborate and support a group of scientists to develop robust and scalable processes for microbial fermentation within BMS’s robust early stage biologics pipeline. The candidate will help to deliver on process development goals for early-stage clinical manufacturing supply needs.
The successful candidate has the following responsibilities and attributes:
- Understanding of modern molecular biology and genetic engineering techniques for manipulating E. coli host strain.
- Independently lead efforts for strain development from strain engineering and verification, and testing in shake flask and bioreactor studies.
- Experience with investigating unexpected cell behavior for strain development and/or troubleshooting purposes.
- Hands-on operation, maintenance, and turn-around of lab scale bioreactors for microbial fermentation.
- Strong motivation to develop fundamental understanding of biological processes and systems.
- Efficient approach to preparation, workflow and documentation for process development work
- Contribute to upstream experiments for process design and optimization.
THIS POSITION WILL BE BASED IN DEVENS, MASSACHUSETTS
- Ph.D. or Masters in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Cell Biology or related field with 0-2 or 4-6 years, respectively, of relevant industrial and/or academic experience preferred.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with techniques for molecular biology, strain development and operation of microbial fermentation.
- Hands on experience desired for E.coli host strain development, upstream process development, bioreactor operation, and media development.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and high throughput bioreactor systems (ambr250) is a plus.
- Competent computer and data analytic skills. Experience in working with statistical experimental design, data analysis, excel, electronic lab notebooks and data management systems is desired.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Capable of working independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
Bristol-Myers Squibb is an equal opportunity employer - M/F/Vet/Disability
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.