Law Department Diversity and Inclusion Internship Program
In 2017, Bristol-Myers Squibb received the following accolades:
- Bristol-Myers Squibb was recognized on the Dow Jones’ 2017 North America Index of Leading Sustainable Companies. Our efforts to promote economic, social and environmental sustainability are core to our company’s mission and reflect our ongoing commitment to patients, our employees and partners, the environment, and communities around the world.
- For the 9th consecutive year, Bristol-Myers Squibb ranked among the top 10 on Corporate Responsibility magazine’s list of the 100 Best Corporate Citizens.
- In 2017, BMS received, for the 11th consecutive year, a perfect score of 100% on the Corporate Equality Index (CEI), a national review of workplace equality conducted annually by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb was recognized as one of 2017’s 100 Best Companies by Working Mother– marking the 20th consecutive year that our company has made the list. The company was recognized for outstanding leadership in establishing policies, programs and a corporate culture that supports working moms.
In alignment with our focus on the diversity of leadership within our organization, Bristol-Myers Squibb is committed to increasing the diversity and inclusion of attorneys within the legal profession overall.
Starting in 1999, Bristol-Myers Squibb created a paid summer internship program for law students who were interested in experiencing the practice of law within a corporate law department. Bristol-Myers Squibb will continue this 10-week summer program in 2018.
The summer internship program offers valuable career development opportunities to law students by providing client- and customer-focused assignments under the supervision of various members of our legal staff. The assignments will vary by department, but are expected to include various areas of compliance and legal practice, including regulatory, corporate/transactional, employment/privacy, intellectual property, and litigation. The positions primarily are based at our offices in Central New Jersey but may support multiple geographies. A biology or chemistry background is strongly preferred for any candidates interested in patent law. Summer internships are not expected to lead to an offer of full-time employment.
This internship program will:
- Introduce law students to the varied and complex legal issues encountered in a corporate legal setting;
- Expose law students to various career paths available in a corporate legal setting; and
- Match students with mentors in Bristol-Myers Squibb who can provide ongoing guidance on professional development throughout their academic and professional careers.
In addition to gaining in-house experience, our program provides learning opportunities in different areas of the law relevant to the pharmaceutical industry. Past activities have included direct exposure with clients and outside counsel, networking opportunities, monthly seminars conducted by senior management representatives of various business units, career development programs, tours of our manufacturing facilities and an opportunity to present to the General Counsel.
Bristol-Myers Squibb is seeking qualified law students of diverse backgrounds who are interested in obtaining a unique experience within a world-class corporate law environment. First-year students are preferred, but students at different stages of their legal education, including LLMs, will be considered. Students should have excellent academic credentials and communication skills. Eligible law students should also possess outstanding interpersonal skills, due to the high level of client contact. Up to eight qualified students will be placed in various areas of the Bristol-Myers Squibb Law Department based on their academic background and personal interest. Students will receive $1,000 per week (based upon a 40-hour work week) for the 10-week summer program. It is highly recommended that the students be able to commit to the entire 10 week program. Interested students should refer to our Recruitment Profile for more details.
The Bristol-Myers Squibb Company Diversity & Inclusion Summer Legal Internship Program is intended to provide exceptional law students with a unique and in-depth opportunity to work in the corporate law department of a premier global BioPharma company. We seek qualified law students of diverse backgrounds (first year preferred, but students at different stages of their legal education will be considered, including LLM students), who have exhibited an interest in learning about healthcare, pharmaceutical, or corporate practice. Although summer internships are not expected to lead to an offer of full-time employment with Bristol-Myers Squibb, our internships provide a professional experience that should prove valuable to participants and future employers. The positions will primarily be located in our Central New Jersey offices with occasional travel to our New York City office. The interns will be making trips between company sites as part of the summer program and are expected to arrange their transportation between sites.
In assessing potential candidates, this program is targeted towards law students from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in the legal profession and
- Are in good academic standing and rank in the top 30% of their class and/or carry a 3.0 GPA or better; and
- Have shown a commitment to high ethical standards.
Candidates who are selected for an interview by Bristol-Myers Squibb should be prepared to respond to any of the following questions:
- How has your law school experience influenced the direction and focus of your future law career?
- What personal characteristics or circumstances make you an excellent candidate for this internship?
- What is your interest in healthcare, pharmaceutical or corporate practice?
- Do you have prior or current experience in the healthcare field (professional or otherwise) and if so, how has that experience influenced your perception of the healthcare field?
- What are your professional aspirations? Where do you see yourself five years after graduating law school?
Summer Internship Class of 2017
Summer Internship Class of 2016
Summer Internship Class of 2015
Summer Internship Class of 2014
How to Apply
Students interested in applying for this corporate law department internship must forward their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 8, 2018. Applications submitted after this date, or formatted incorrectly, will not be considered. To be formatted correctly, each application must be submitted in one PDF document with the applicant’s name as the title of the file, and include (in the following order):
- Application cover sheet
- A cover letter from the student indicating:
- Why the student is an excellent candidate for the program and specifically how the student would contribute to the program.
- A statement of why diversity and inclusion is important to the student.
- A current resume
- A legal writing sample (no more than 3 pages)
Students selected for interviews may be asked to submit their law school transcript.
Qualified applicants will be invited to interview in early 2018 with an anticipated internship start date in late May 2018. Interviewees may be asked to provide references