Strategic Planning/Corporate Dev
Manager, Strategic Options and Assessment (SOA), is an internal consulting role. Our team members are expected to lead/facilitate product development teams and appropriate matrix representatives in identifying compelling development strategies for further analysis. They are responsible for financial analysis of the development options and using that analysis to provide insights into the tradeoffs among the options, with the goal of enabling value-driven R&D decisions. They are responsible for clearly communicating their findings to development teams and to senior management.
They also act as integrators of other analytic services, helping development teams ensure that they make the most of BMS’s full set of analytic capabilities – not just those of SOA. For this role, they need to quickly come up to speed on other teams’ capabilities and how to identify when those teams should be brought in to help our development teams make recommendations that serve BMS and our patients.
They are expected to develop commercial and development expertise sufficient to allow them to both support and challenge development teams. They quantify technical and regulatory risks, and integrate their assessments with projections of commercial revenues, and costs, in order to value R&D investments for portfolio planning. They also provide support for evaluation of licensing and business development opportunities within their therapeutic area, and provide support as needed for cross therapeutic area portfolio reviews.
- The position requires >4 years of relevant experience, preferably in the pharmaceutical industry
- Undergraduate degree in the sciences or a quantitative discipline such as Engineering, Statistics, or related
- Graduate degree in Business, Decision Analysis, Sciences, Engineering or another quantitative discipline
- Demonstrated expertise in structuring and completing insightful financial analyses combined with an ability to clearly communicate insights to stakeholders and senior management.
- Strong facilitation and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities
In addition, we will give preference to candidates with:
- Experience in Decision Analysis or Management Science.
- Evidence of interest/experience in organizational behavior or psychology
- Experience in a management consulting or internal consulting setting
- Experience evaluating investments with explicit handling of uncertainty and experience with standard Excel Monte Carlo packages (such as @Risk or Crystal Ball)
- A deep understanding of clinical development, regulatory issues, and market dynamics in the pharmaceutical industry
This role is part of a high-performance team. Our team members are expected to provide leadership via influence for their development teams, make effective use of their teammates’ experience and expertise, and develop an area where they act as the expert for other members of the team. The role provides an opportunity to have a material impact on the value of BMS’s development opportunities for BMS and our patients.
- Our team members need to be comfortable raising key issues and opportunities to the attention of team and therapeutic area management