On February 22nd, our hearts go out to Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is a common genetic disorder that affects the heart muscle.
- The disease affects people all over the world - regardless of gender, age or ethnicity.
- HCM is often hereditary or caused by a genetic mutation.
- 1 in 330 people is affected by a cardiomyopathy.1
- It therefore represents a major burden for patients, families, the healthcare system and society.2
- HCM receives little policy attention, and practitioners are generally not familiar with the diagnosis and treatment of the disease. Therefore, awareness of HCM is essential/of vital importance.
The report 'Cardiomyopathies Matter' provides policy recommendations to improve the detection and treatment of patients with cardiomyopathies in Europe.
What are we doing in the field of cardiovascular diseases?
BMS is leading in the development of groundbreaking therapies for the treatment of patients with cardiovascular diseases.
Cardiovascular diseases include all diseases affecting the cardiovascular system and the blood and lymphatic vessels, including heart attacks, strokes, and venous thromboembolism.
Every year, around 19,000 people in Belgium suffer a stroke3, while another 15,000 suffer a heart attack4. Cardiovascular diseases is one of the leading causes of mortality and morbidity in industrialised countries.
Early detection of these diseases, treatment of the risk factors, and prevention are all critical in reducing the impact of cardiovascular diseases. Therefore, current research at Bristol Myers Squibb is focused on developing therapies to prevent stroke and treat venous thromboembolism. Stroke prevention focuses on atrial fibrillation, one of the significant risk factors for stroke.
Our medicine in cardiovascular diseases
Our mission is to research, develop, and make available innovative medicines to patients with serious diseases.
1 European Society of Cardiology Cardiomyopathy and Myocarditis Registry website. www.escardio.org/Research/Registries-&-surveys/Observational-research-programme/Cardiomyopathy-and-Myocarditis-Registry
2 European Heart Network. European cardiovascular disease statistics. 2017 https://ehnheart.org/cvd-statistics/cvd-statistics-2017