Sustainability 2020 Goals
Bristol-Myers Squibb is continually improving on our goals and making significant strides toward improved sustainability.
Delivering on our Mission and Commitment
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, sustainability means conducting our business to help patients prevail over serious diseases in a manner that contributes to economic growth, social responsibility and a healthy environment now and in the future.
Bristol-Myers Squibb has been setting sustainability objectives and reporting on results since the 1990s, when we began reporting on environmental objectives. This focus was broadened in 2000, with the launch of our Sustainability 2010 Goals, to include social issues. In 2009 we introduced our Sustainability 2015 Goals, which addressed a fresh set of issues and targets, while continuing to focus on a number of key areas.
The duration and depth of our focus on sustainability issues has garnered the company recognition from many sources that can be referenced on our Achievements page.
“We started working with teams from across the organization in 2014 to develop our Sustainability 2020 goals,” states Carol Powell, Global Head and Vice President of Environmental, Health, Safety and Sustainability. “This included priority assessments, interviews with senior leaders, benchmarking with other companies -- both pharma and non-pharma -- and input from external stakeholders. Within Bristol-Myers Squibb, we engaged with many different functions to build alignment and ownership of the goals and succeeded in having the most participation ever in the process.” The Sustainability 2020 Goals were approved by the Bristol-Myers Squibb Leadership Team, and by the Board of Directors’ Committee on Directors and Corporate Governance in December 2015.
The company’s approach to sustainability is comprehensive and global, and encompasses the products we make and how we make them, our facilities, our employees and our communities. Our Sustainability 2020 Goals are designed to further strengthen the company’s business foundation, enabling an even stronger platform for future growth through opportunities to meet patient needs and stakeholder expectations.
The Bristol-Myers Squibb Sustainability 2020 Goals align with the company’s strategy and with programs underway across the organization focused on innovation in support of research and development, patient access, our employees, our supply chain and the environment. In summary, the new goals are to:
- Accelerate innovation to develop transformative medicines - By 2020, enable Speed to Patients by optimizing development timelines such as R&D processes, regulatory review and data packaging. The goal also focuses on improving clinical trial patient diversity and satisfaction.
- Enhance patient access to medicines - Use existing approaches such as tiered pricing, voluntary licensing, reimbursement support, patient assistance programs and our Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation partnerships to provide greater access to our medicines in global markets. For example, all marketed products will have access plans.
- Be the employer of choice and the champion of safety - Empower and engage our people by improving safe behaviors and building a more globally diverse and inclusive workforce; being a recognized employer of choice. For example, by 2020, establish a new safety culture survey and improve results.
- Drive supply chain leadership on quality and integrity - Ensure reliable supply, engaging with our critical suppliers and assessing those in high-risk countries for conformance with labor and integrity standards. As an example, all critical manufacturing suppliers will be assessed for risk and risk mitigation performance, with results incorporated in sourcing decisions.
- Innovate to support a green, healthy planet - Continue to improve our environmental footprint with greenhouse gas and water reduction goals and integrate green design and reduce waste throughout our product portfolio. Among Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Sustainability 2020 Goal targets is to reduce water use and greenhouse gas emissions by 5 percent (absolute) or more from the 2015 baseline.
Full details of the Sustainability 2020 Goals and metrics follow: