Syracuse, New York
Facts and Figures
- Since 1943, Bristol-Myers Squibb employees in Syracuse, New York, have been developing and manufacturing new medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases. From the early days of penicillin to the current days of manufacturing biologics medicines for commercial use, Bristol-Myers Squibb has maintained a strong commitment to the Syracuse community through employment, philanthropic endeavors and environmental stewardship.
- A critical function of the 90-acre site in East Syracuse, New York is manufacturing of biologics medicines for commercial use.
- Employees also have responsibility for authoring sections of drug applications for regulatory agencies around the world as well as providing technical transfer expertise for internal and third party manufacturing sites.
Community and Social Progress
- The Syracuse site supports many not-for-profit organizations in Central New York. Priority areas for contribution include: hospitals and health organizations and neighborhood programs.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb has a strong focus on influencing a positive culture through diversity and inclusion – where everyone is unique and has something to offer. Employees drive engagement, within BMS and throughout the community, through resource groups, including: b-now (Bristol-Myers Squibb Network of Women), BOLD (Black Organization for Leadership and Development), CLIMB (Cultivating Leadership and Innovation for Millennials and Beyond), DAWN (Differently-Abled Workplace Network), LGBTA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Allies), OLA (Organization for Latino Achievement), PAN (Pan Asian Network) and VCN (Veterans Community Network). Additionally, employees participate in a variety of community activities such as: participating in not-for-profit fundraising walks, days of caring projects and serving on boards of directors.
- The company donated $1 million to the Golisano Children’s Hospital which offers state-of-the-art care for pediatric patients in a 17-country region.
- The company launched an integrated business and science curricula at East Syracuse Minoa High School called RxeSEARCH: An Educational Journey. This program is a comprehensive educational program that teaches students about the drug development process. The program is novel in its approach to integrated teaching and learning of biology, chemistry, math, social studies and language arts. It strives to educate today’s youth about the risks and rewards of developing new medicines with the goal of creating informed consumers of healthcare. RxeSEARCH: An Educational Journey prepares students for careers in science, technology, engineering and math.
Environment, Health and Safety
- The Syracuse Site is wrapping up a ten-year effort to transform to manufacturing the latest generation of innovative biologics medicines from historical antibiotics. During this transformation, the site has created more than 20 acres of open green space with the removal of obsolete buildings and reduced waste generation by more than 85%.
- The site has served as the manufacturing launch facility for immune system modulators designed for the treatment of a broad range of diseases, including: rheumatoid arthritis, anti-rejection for kidney transplant recipients and an expanding range of cancer treatments.
- The Syracuse Site maintains a robust Environment, Health and Safety Management System designed to prevent injuries and workplace illnesses, minimize impacts to the environment and continue to manufacture our life changing medicines in the most sustainable manner possible.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Syracuse manufacturing is focused on large molecule, biologic-based medicines. These processes are water-based, produce lower emissions and generate less hazardous waste than typical small molecule, solvent based processes.
- Since 2013, the site has reduced its hazardous waste generation by greater than 70%.
- Since 2015, the site has reduced its combustion-based emissions and its wastewater discharge by greater than 20%.
- The site has made significant progress toward the company’s 2020 Sustainability Goals to reduce water usage and greenhouse gas emissions.
Facility Contact Information
Main site phone number
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a member of https://goboldly.com/