Global Reporting Initiative
The Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) is an international independent organization, with a network-based structure, non-profit organization based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, that—in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme—encourages companies worldwide to voluntarily measure and report their economic, environmental and social performance using strict guidelines and protocols.
Thousands of reporters in over 90 countries use GRI's Standards for their reporting. Of the world's largest 250 corporations, 93% report on their sustainability performance and 82% of these use GRI's Standards to do so.
Known by many as G4, which refers to the organization’s fourth version, the 2013 G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines (Guidelines) are the global standard for providing a credible framework companies may voluntarily use to benchmark performance and to demonstrate their commitment to transparency, accountability and sustainability. GRI has not verified the contents of this website, nor does it take a position on the reliability of information reported herein.
Global Reporting Initiative Content Index
Bristol-Myers Squibb reports in alignment with the Global Reporting Initiative’s 2013 G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines at the Core level. Our index facilitates access to Core reporting elements as well as additional Comprehensive level elements where available. For each G4 performance indicator, we include a link to the pertinent section of the Bristol-Myers Squibb website or provide a specific response directly.
Reporting Period and Scope
Bristol-Myers Squibb updates this sustainability website at least annually. The reporting period for this website is calendar year 2015. This website includes data from our research and development, manufacturing, and distribution facilities around the world, including joint ventures, subsidiaries, and leased facilities in which Bristol-Myers Squibb employees work. In the case of safety, we also include data from Bristol-Myers Squibb's administrative and sales offices worldwide. The scope of this report does not include sustainability performance data from external organizations or activities over which the company has limited control or influence (e.g., suppliers, contractors, and customers). However, we are tracking carbon emissions from air miles flown and working with a number of vendors on opportunities to reduce our waste and carbon footprint. Unless otherwise noted, the reported data are from 2013 through 2015. Previous progress reports are available for download.
Defining Report Content
Bristol-Myers Squibb worked with internal and external stakeholders to prioritize the topics within this report.
The "Reporting Principles and Standard Disclosures " and the “Implementation Manual” of the GRI G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines provided a useful framework for determining what to include in this website.
Significant Changes in Operations
In 2015, our former diabetes business was divested and our Mt. Vernon, Indiana facility was transferred to AstraZeneca.
Changes in Reporting
We are now reporting in alignment with the GRI G4 guidelines at the Core level. Otherwise, there have not been significant changes from previous reporting periods in the scope, boundary, or measurement methods applied in this website, or significant restatements of information provided in earlier reports. Bristol-Myers Squibb is committed to ongoing improvement of our Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) data gathering systems. As a result, our systems continue to become more robust over time. With over 20 years of experience in public EHS reporting, we recognize the challenges faced by industry when collecting, reviewing, and analyzing data from facilities of varying size and complexity around the world. When we make an improvement and change the method used to measure data, or correct data reported in previous years, we provide an explanation in the relevant performance section of this site.
Assuring Accuracy and Reliability in Reporting
We strive to provide stakeholders with factual and balanced information regarding the economic, environmental, and social challenges we face, the initiatives we have developed to manage these challenges, and our performance in implementing these initiatives. This website has been prepared in accordance with the following principles:
- This report covers our research and development, manufacturing, large offices, and distribution facilities worldwide. Deviations in coverage are noted in the report, along with the rationale.
- The data reported include the key EHS aspects of the company's operations.
- The report contains our EHS policy and goals and our performance against those goals. It also includes our performance against voluntary public EHS commitments. Baseline data are presented for each performance metric.
- Key data in the report are compared over a three-year period, in addition to the baseline year for data related to goals.
- Standard processes are in place for data collection and data reporting. This website updates information contained in previous printed reports.
- We explain if we change the method used from one year to the next to estimate or otherwise determine data.
- We follow a system for properly adjusting EHS data to take into account facility acquisitions, divestitures, and closings.
- Whenever possible, data are presented in absolute terms and normalized to sales.
- We strive to present data in this report clearly and without distortion.
- The data are presented in a way that accommodates the needs of various stakeholders. We solicit and consider stakeholder feedback on how we present data and what data we collect.
- Significant variations and deviations in performance are explained in the text of this report.
- Supporting data are retained for at least one year from the date of publication of the report in which the data so supported were last used.
Since 1997, Bristol-Myers Squibb has engaged third-party reviewers to assess the company's EHS evaluation program and the systems for collecting and reporting data from facilities worldwide. Independent statements regarding these reviews are included in this website. See Verification Statements.