Bristol-Myers Squibb has obtained the following independent reviews:
- Investor Carbon Disclosure Project - Accuracy of GHG Emissions & Water Withdrawal Assertions
- Select Environmental Data – Independent Assurance Statement
- EHS Audit Program Assessment Attestation
Investor Carbon Disclosure Project – Accuracy of GHG Emissions & Water Withdrawal Assertions
Bureau Veritas North America, Inc. (BVNA) was engaged by Bristol-Myers Squibb to conduct an independent verification of the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and water withdrawal reported by Bristol-Myers Squibb for the period of January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015. The Verification Statements apply to the related information included within the scope of work.
The determination of the GHG emissions and water withdrawal is the sole responsibility of Bristol-Myers Squibb. BVNA’s sole responsibility was to provide independent verification on the accuracy of the GHG emissions and water withdrawal assertions, and on the underlying systems and processes used to collect, analyze and review the information.
Select Environmental Data - Independent Assurance Statement
Bureau Veritas North America, Inc. (BVNA) was engaged by Bristol-Myers Squibb to conduct an independent assurance of select environmental data reported in its corporate social responsibility report (the Report). This Assurance Statement applies to the related information included within the scope of work described below for the period of January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015. The intended users of the Assurance Statement are the stakeholders of Bristol-Myers Squibb. The overall aim of this process is to provide assurance to Bristol-Myers Squibb stakeholders on the accuracy, reliability and objectivity of select information included in the Report.
The environmental data and its presentation in the Report are the sole responsibility of the management of Bristol-Myers Squibb. BVNA was not involved in the collection of the information or the drafting of the Report.
Scope of work
- Assurance of the environmental data, specifically:
- Direct Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions (Scope 1) associated with Manufacturing and R&D Facilities, U.S. and Canada Sales Vehicle Fleet, Distribution Centers and Offices
- Indirect GHG emissions (Scope 2) associated with Manufacturing and R&D Facilities, Distribution Centers and Offices
- GHG emissions (Scope 3) associated with Business Air Travel
- Total Energy Consumption associated with Manufacturing and R&D Facilities, Distribution Centers, Offices, U.S. and Canada sales vehicle fleet, and business air travel
- Water Consumption associated with Manufacturing and R&D Facilities, Distribution Centers and Offices.
- Appropriateness and robustness of underlying reporting systems and processes used to collect, analyze, and review the environmental information reported;
- Evaluation of the reported data against Bristol-Myers Squibb’s internal reporting procedures; and
- Evaluation of the GHG emissions data against the requirements of the World Resources Institute (WRI)/World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) Greenhouse Gas Protocol Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standards.
A copy of the Independent Assurance Statement detailing the results of this assessment is available here.
EHS Audit Program Assessment Attestation
Bureau Veritas North America, Inc. (BVNA) was engaged by Bristol-Myers Squibb to a conduct a process quality assurance audit of its Global Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) internal audit program. The purpose of the audit was to:
- evaluate the effectiveness of Bristol-Myers Squibb’s global EHS internal audit systems in promoting implementation of EHS policies, practices, and programs and in identifying opportunities for EHS performance improvement,
- determine if the Bristol-Myers Squibb Global Environmental, Health, Safety and Sustainability Global EHS Audit Standard Operating Procedure - is an effective global EHS audit system to maintain and continually improve EHS performance, and
- evaluate the implementation of the audit system and its efficacy in meeting its stated intent “to demonstrate responsible corporate governance by periodically auditing each of its operations for compliance with internal and external environment, health, and safety requirements
BVNA concluded that Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Internal EHS Audit Program is effectively designed, managed and implemented in a form and manner consistent with the Bristol-Myers Squibb global policies, practices and procedures, and specific external EHS audit standards, and that Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Internal EHS Audit Program includes mature and effective processes, support systems and program personnel to provide timely, accurate and useful information to global, business unit and facility management to maintain and continuously improve EHS performance of its facilities. In addition to these conclusions, BVNA made several recommendations for continuous improvement of the audit program, which Bristol-Myers Squibb has agreed to consider for implementation and action.
Observations included that “The Bristol-Myers Squibb EHS Audit Program is viewed within the audit team and among stakeholders as a “Top Tier” program with many of the components in place to be an industry best program. The Program is “customer” focused and is seen as driving EHS cultural improvement at the site level and providing a key oversight role supporting EHS risk management and continual improvement of performance.” A full copy of the attestation is available here.