Global Diveristy & Inclusion Report 2020: Enabling our Vision of "Transforming Patients’ Lives through Science" - Bristol Myers Squibb
Enabling Our Vision
At Bristol Myers Squibb, our mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines to help patients prevail over serious diseases.
This requires working to ensure that those who need our medicines have access to them, especially vulnerable populations disproportionately affected by serious diseases.
As an organization motivated to work smarter, faster and better, our scientific advances allow us to redefine the future of personalized medicine and make life-changing care accessible to those who need it.
We believe it is not simply about giving patients longer life—it is also about offering the possibility of a better life.
Our ability to treat more patients, however, relies directly on an even deeper understanding of who they are, the unique challenges they face and their trust in our science.
We believe the only way we can successfully work toward this is by building a workforce whose diverse experiences, perspectives and personal backgrounds reflect the diversity of our global patient population.
Our Continuing Journey
For Bristol Myers Squibb, global diversity and inclusion (GD&I) is an evolving journey. We can take pride in our advancements over the years, and we match that pride with an accountability to accelerate our efforts where needed to close critical gaps—for our employees and our patients.
This report is about our 30,000+ employees and reflects the diverse experiences they contribute to our commitment to our patients and communities.
- Stephen F. Austin State University. “EEO Ethnicity and Race Categories ”https://www.sfasu.edu/docs/human-resources/sfa-new-employee-data-definitions.pdf
- Mohr, T. “Why Women Don’t Apply for Jobs Unless They’re 100% Qualified.” Harvard Business Review (2014)
- Deloitte. “Big demands and high expectations. The Deloitte Millennial Survey” (January 2014) https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/About-Deloitte/gx-dttl-2014-millennial-survey-report.pdf
- Feder, M. “One Decade, One Million more STEM Graduates”. (December 18, 2012) https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2012/12/18/one-decade-one-million-more-stem-graduates
- National Science Board. “The State of U.S. Science and Engineering 2020”. (2020) https://ncses.nsf.gov/pubs/nsb20201/executive-summary
- UNCF Patterson Institute special tabulations of data from the U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (2018 data collection year)
- Association of American Medical Colleges. “Diversity in the Physician Workforce: Facts & Figures 2014”. (2014)
- According to Bristol Myers Squibb 2020 employee survey
- According to Bristol Myers Squibb 2019 employee survey
- According to Bristol Myers Squibb 2020 Global Diversity and Inclusion survey
- Verified Inclusion Partner certification developed in partnership with the NeuroLeadership Institute